Wednesday 22 March 2017

All my seedlings be like....


I'm a newish member of a superb facebook group "No Dig Gardening - Undug" which is both incredibly helpful and also quite amusing at times. I've found the admins particularly helpful with the most basic of questions and nothing seems to be too much hassle.

Just yesterday I got into discussions about "leggy" seedlings. In Bonsai, the term 'leggy' refers to undesirably long distances between internodes or branching with few buds and long sappy length. However, when looking at something like sweet peas I would expect them to display this characteristic as a matter of course.

Naturally, as seems to be the case a lot recently, I discover that I'm wrong!

It turns out that my one week old, very tall sweet peas seedlings are desperate for light, only being on my windowsill.

Just look at the poor little pookins desperately reaching out in the miserably low light levels...
nodig, no-dig, allotment, #nodig, #no-dig

Only one thing for it (with my cap doffed to Jodie for giving me the info on this brilliantly simple idea)... lets give them a self tanning reflective screen to improve the abysmal light levels and help them put a bit of bulk on!

nodig, no-dig, allotment, #nodig, seedlings indoors

Yeah yeah, I can see you shaking your head in pity at this tragic attempt, however, I had no cardboard in the flat and needed to get something together for today at least; so I salvaged a food box which had already been screwed up for recycling! I intend to construct something a little less shanty this weekend, although I must confess to feeling at peace with the Fisher Price feel of it...

Anyway, I thought I'd share this fiendishly simple idea for anyone who doesn't have a greenhouse/cold frame/outdoor space and suffers from leggy seedlings.

As with anything it seems the simple ideas are the best!



No comments:

Post a Comment