Monday 20 June 2016

GOGOGOGOGO

Wow, it's all systems go now!


I've just returned from a few days chilling in a very agreeably warm Amsterdam with my good buddy Zak. After a few days of drinking solid Dutch beers, playing a little poker and smoking some of the finest weed the city has to offer in the local coffee shops, I'm brutally thrown back into the reality of work, rainy England and general miserable shite.


But positivity is afoot - I get to speak to the allotment lady today and go to choose a plot! How fucking exciting!!! I'm somewhat intimidated by the sizes of these plots, and I am wondering how the heck I'm going to move half the stuff to the allotment that I need - but luckily for larger stuff I can pinch the work van. This enables me to think about stuff like, but not limited to;


Sheds/greenhouses/potting sheds (woop!)
wheelbarrows
Gardening forks/spades/shovels etc
Water butts and guttering


I'm guessing I wont be doing too much planting this late in the year, but it will enable me to get some raised beds built. I've been scouting around for some wood for free - found an interesting post on Freecycle.org with some old roof rafters, but as yet nothing perfect. I'm going to ask the local scaffolding company if they have any old boards they don't need this week as they have been recommended by a blogger which I follow http://www.realmensow.co.uk/


I thought I'd share this excellent site/links I've found to help with the feeling overwhelmed  with my first plot.


There's so much good stuff on here:


http://www.love2learnallotmenting.co.uk/how-to-start-an-allotment


I'm guessing it's going to be a little expensive to start with, so I'm going to have to learn to scavenge, scrimp, save, reuse and recycle before end up with a mounting bill and little to show for it.


I'm now going to spend a couple of hours going through that site and learning what I can.


Hopefully I can post some pics of the plot in the next couple of days


More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment