Monday 6 February 2017

A clearer picture!

I spent a lot of time at the plot on Saturday, clearing the previous tenant's crap out and putting it on her remaining plot, to ensure that I didn't get lumbered with another person's shite. Once I'd cleared it it gave me a much clearer idea of what I'm going to do.

no dig beds, no dig allotment, organic allotment, organic no dig beds, no dig vegetables

If you look below, I've broken it into 3 clearly defined areas, left to right.
Although the perspective is hard to follow, these three strips are all the same size - with the centre one having 2 paths across(which I've also highlighted). Where I'm standing is a thin strip, maybe 2 metres wide which has super rich soil from being the previous composting area.

no dig beds, no dig allotment, organic allotment, organic no dig beds, no dig vegetables
 
The very end section furthest from the camera in the pic above, is the section below. It currently has 2 large raised beds, which the previous tenant is going to move this weekend. The quality of the soil in this section is gorgeous. It's slightly compacted from my site clearing but the soil is granular and light.

I spent half an hour clearing the weeds you see below with a  fork - each and every fork I lifted to clear the weed brought up with it around 5-6 big juicy earthworms which is an excellent sign

no dig beds, no dig allotment, organic allotment, organic no dig beds, no dig vegetables

Next week I have 3 tonnes of well rotted manure turning up and Ill be starting my "no-dig" adventure. I'll be posting up info on no-dig over the next week, with lot of links and vids/pics!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment