Friday 10 February 2017

Prices, plans and people in the know

Just a quick post today.

I'm constantly staggered at the difference in price of things from commercially advertised places, as opposed to referrals. For example - I googled "well rotted manure" and after much searching, I managed to find a tonne for £110 delivered, or £50 for 20 bags from a different supplier.


Seemed very pricey, particularly as allotmenteers are renowned for their thriftiness? However, a quick chat with one of the locals (who incidentally had a huge pile of poo on his plot) told me of a local farmer who will drop off a "full trailer" for £40.


It seems that a full trailer is around 4 tonnes. With a combined square footage of 245m I think this should give me enough to work with using the no dig method.


Here's my plan, using as many natural elements as possible. Some tweaking still to do...





Left side
2 compost bins, right next to where my manure will be delivered
Comfrey - purely grown for composting and comfrey tea
Onions and Garlic
Sunflowers & corn
Courgettes
Globe Artichoke
More corn and artichoke

Centre (inc green house)
Sweetpeas - to provide summer scent & colour next to the seating area

Pond Area
Alternating Hostas and Lupins - for colour and also for attracting slugs to the frogs (who will eat them), and to keep them away from the salad!

Lower
Broccoli - I eat it nearly every day….

Right Side
Tomatoes - close enough to keep an eye on from the greenhouse area (I will also grow them inside)

Salad - various
Large asparagus bed - this will take 2 full seasons to establish but I eat a LOT of asparagus so I've dedicated a large area. (Depending on cropping I may extend this area later)

There's a lot of work to do here, but it leaves my other plot exclusively for Bonsai.

I just had authority to put an 8X6 greenhouse on too, so that'll be my next mission. Lots of exciting things to do!














No comments:

Post a Comment