Wednesday 13 April 2016

I'm having a _____ day





The single country lane that I use to commute across the pretty Hertfordshire countryside was closed off for roadworks this morning. I had two choices.


I could have taken an alternative route; a real ballache of a journey across Stevenage, through busy lights, packed roundabouts and up the A1, to double back on myself 20 minutes later. I'd arrive at work slightly harassed and probably not have time to pick up some lunch before work.

If I took the "road closed" route, across some beautifully picturesque, classic rolling English countryside, and beat the road-workers, it'd be a small victory. However, if I took this route and got 15 mins in to the journey to find a dead-end of plant vehicles and drilling I'd barely be able to double back and make it to work on time.

No real drama, you could argue, but assuming my mood-o-meter started at dead vertical 50% between positive and negative, it'd definitely dip into the left half...


I gambled....

As I tootled across country lanes, past field openings and up and down hills and dips I marvelled at the stunning clarity of the sky over the mist laden vista. It truly was a morning of note; the detail of the sprawling hills camouflaged by the almost white-light of the sun as it cleared the horizon by a full disc, giving a theatrical black silhouette to everything in view, layer upon layer stretching off into the distance.


If I'd brought a camera with me of any quality, I'd have pulled the car over and taken an amateurish shot, chucked it into Lightroom, hit a few random buttons and made millions.


As it was, the juxtaposition of the brilliance of the spring sun against the cotton wool clad fields was truly a joy to my eyes and I felt myself feeling invigorated and speechless.


I mean, that's what being alive is all about, right? Little inspiring moments, compounded into a general mood which shape your day?

Due to the lack of cars on the road, I was able to take a quick stop to have a closer look at a cute old goat which sits by the road halfway between home and work. I take great delight in animals and he's always up to mischief as I pass.

As I slowed down he came trotting out of his hut to take a closer look at me too.

Allotment, allotment blog, grow your own blog


We spent just 5 or 10 seconds watching each other. I enjoyed the moment, while wishing I'd brought a carrot with me, and that I could get out and go and give him a stroke...


So it got me thinking about the fact I felt nice. I felt happy. When we say that we are "having a good day" or "having a bad day", it's generally an accumulation of lots of little events. I mean, sure, buying a house, getting a promotion, having a baby - these are all events which have a huge positive effect on your life, but these are 'destination' events - events you work towards or events which happen so rarely they are merely garnish.

The older I get, the more I realise that true happiness lies in the minutiae and abstract detail of each waking moment. Someone once said to me that life is a journey, not a destination. At the time I didn't really get it - but I do now. I take great pleasure in the simplest of things nowadays.

Anyway, I beat the road workers, arrived at work in plenty of time to pick up some lunch and arrived feeling enriched with the promise of spring. A multi-level mini-victory.

This is why I'm not frustrated that the Stevenage Allotment Association have taken 4 days so far to reply to en email asking to add me to two more local allotment sites. I mean - how long can that take?

Anyway....I'm having a good day. I hope you have one too





No comments:

Post a Comment